Monday, June 12, 2006

G.C. College: One of the finest colleges in the NorthEast

1992 was an eventful year of my otherwise mundane life. After a tumultuous encounter with several career options, I found myself in Silchar – my home town – on the southern fringes of Assam. My dad decided that I join G. C. College for a baccalaureate in Physics major. His was the final word and there was no going back.

The first month in college was disciplined –- much like the way my father, a fauji, would have wanted. Me and brother Ajoy marched to college everyday, attended classes and romped straight back home without indulging in addas in not so obscure locales in Central Road or Shillongpatty. I followed the routine diligently for a few months until intelligence dawned on me -- one fine morning. I realized that I was expecting too much from an undisciplined beast like myself. The lure of the academic system also was difficult to resist –- the B.Sc exams were held in 2 parts and part 1 were only after 2 years. This meant that I had a complete 12 months to while around. I immediately jumped to thwart seriousness and employ casualness. Life became so bright.

My first adventure with this newly found freedom culminated at tips on bunking classes from some local bunking gurus – ones who have honed their skills in their schools in SIlchar. The first bunking lessons were practiced for the foundation classes. The bunking lessons I acquired saw me comfortably throughout my studies in Assam University.

Initially when I was a disciplinarian in College – the first two months -- I found that I was the only one guy who occupied the boys’ half side of the foundation Hall 1 classroom with the ladies teeming in the other half. As a loner in the boys bench the girls pitied me, for no fault of mine. Some perhaps even doubted my credibility as a student. And that’s when the new human was born inside me.

The art of bunking foundation classes called for a seasoned bunker. One fine morning when the class was teeming with boys and girls, I was forced to sit amidst a group of smart bunkers. As the lecturer lowered his head reading out the roll numbers from his register, the chap sitting on the bench near the door slowly slipped out of the classroom. The timing was perfect. The gap was swiftly filled by the guy sitting next and it went on like this till the last guy was out. The transition was rapid – like a chain reaction. Finally as the lecturer raised his head, he saw a half empty classroom with only the girls occupying the other half. Mission accomplished I remember leaving for Vivek Sweets for some mouthwatering sweets.

As a G.C. Student, I discovered strange ways in which G.C. College has become the best. The College inspired freedom even while instilling a self-imposed discipline for regular studies that saw many a brilliant chaps pass out of the college to land in plum jobs across the world. Let’s forego the academic talk and see the other interesting facets of the college.


The Science Departments



The Kathol Tree (Katthol Gaas) in the college is perhaps the most famous tree in the whole of Barak Valley. I do not know of any other famous tree in the whole world except the redwood trees of California. The Kathol tree was located centrally inside the college compound and meant different things for different people. For somber people like us it served as a watch-tower – to look for our friends whenever they entered the college. For some, it was an index – right side of the Kathol Gaas, left of the Kathol Gaas or the backside of Kathol Gaas.

The large verandah-cum-balcony above the physics department was another fascinating locale. And if I were to describe the inhabitants of the place during college hours, they came in all shapes and sizes – fat lovers, lean lovers, studious, laggards, time-killers, lady killers, collegiate, non-collegiate, warring factions, tall men, short men, miserly, bold et al occupied its edifices watching trees, birds, lecturers, passers by and several other elements that were of interest to youngsters. The place remained crowded till sun set and till the last creature was engulfed in darkness.

The road in front of the Physics department, overlooking this verandah, was an unofficial stage. Actors often made their grand entry through this stretch of the road showcasing their products – attitude, a new shirt, a new French cut, a new bike or a newly found status. The audiences were the onlookers standing on the verandah. There were moments of frustrations and shame amidst moments of glory. I faintly remember two such grand failures. One was when a biker turned his bike near the college gate in a circle only to land frog-flat on the ground. A huge applause greeted the stylist biker who made a swift exit with his bike, never to be seen again. The other failure was when a chap moved up and down the street singing aloud with a guitar clinging onto his shoulders. The chap beat a hasty retreat when his ‘dreamgirl’ asked him to play ‘jazz’. Rumor-mills churned out the report that the said girl apparently switched over for a more creative guitarist.

There were innumerable other memories from our days in college. The bindaas Saraswati Puja celebrations, the college fest, the orchestra, the games week were just the tip of the iceberg of what was a fun-filled 3 years in Northeast India’s best college.

Today when I look back to my yesteryears in G. C. College, I can only feel proud. The lackadaisical attitude, bonhomie and fun interspersed with serious study and intellectual pursuits are perhaps the form of education that I have witnessed nowhere else. It has helped me become a true human being. It has taught me freedom and restrain, brotherhood and obsession. It has made me more a man to be able to face adversities in the challenge called life. Today, as tread the corridors of D-School, the hallmark of intellectualism in Delhi, as a D. Phil student, I can only cherish my days in G. C. College – the days that taught me to stand up and fight.

In January 2006, I treaded into G. C. College -- after about 5 years -- to reminsce the fragments from the sweet memories of yore. The College is slowly transforming itself with newer buildings, lavish courtyards and a new breed of lecturers – some of whom were my college mates. For a moment time stopped as I enlivened moments that were no longer mine. Amazing, how soon time passes by. Isn't it!

College library

I visited the Physics department and was glad to see the changes that have come across -- the department had a Magazine "Anweshan" that showcased several unknown facets of GC College such the the visit of the legendary physicist, Prof. Meghnad Saha etc. The department also has a computer lab with high-end computers.

The Newsletter of the Physics department

Prof. Surojit Sen in the Computer Lab of the department






Comments:
Wow..lovely... the memories of college are all back
 
Good work

I was dying to see photographs of GC College. Thanks for taking this initiative. Finally we have some pictures of GC College on the Internet.

Keep up the good work. You have a long way to go. Best of luck

Shamshul
 
Man that's a great job....gurucharan college has never been described by anyone like that. I feel you have captured the nuances pretty powerfully. There are several hundreds of G C Collegians who have made it big. their list is pretty long....but few return back to owe their gratitude like you have done...GREAT WORK. hats off to you.
 
Old memories are back with your nice post .. kudos to u.. thanks man!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?